During this tumultuous year, life does still go on, and keeping your yard up to date might not be a priority, but it is a necessity. No one likes a yard filled with weeds and shabby greens. If mowing the lawn has become too much of a tedious job for you, why not invest in a riding mower?
A lawnmower can be your best friend on hot days where you just want to sit back and relax for a few hours without feeling the constant urge to do something productive. While you mow the lawn, you can sit back on top of your mower and enjoy the outdoors or sip a refreshing drink.
However, when you go down to choose a mower, multiple choices are best suited for you, depending on your needs. Read on to get a full guide on the best riding lawn mower for hills in 2020 and make an informed decision.
How to Select the Best Riding Lawn Mower For Hills?
When it comes to selecting the best riding lawn mower for hills, it is important to keep in mind certain things. All mowers have a specific function that they excel in. The kind of mower you choose all depends on what is you and your yard’s primary need. This will also help personalize your mowing experience. The following are certain points to keep in mind when you make your final choice.
When looking at the engine of your lawnmower, there are multiple things to keep in mind. Firstly, take a look at the horsepower of the engine. The horsepower determines how much power and speed with which the engine can work. A large, rugged, or hilly property will require more horsepower. Secondly, the oil filtering and cooling system also speak for the kind of work the engine can accommodate.
A yard can be big, small, hilly, irregular, or rugged. There are many kinds of yards, and each of them needs a different feature to support lawn mowing. For example, if you have a hilly or irregular yard, you will require something with a better transmission.
As opposed to that are large yards that require more speed for fast work. The condition in which your yard is will also determine the kind of cut you need. Small or irregular shaped properties require a narrower cutting deck whereas larger properties cut down mowing time with a wider cutting deck.
Comfort and User-Friendliness
Some mowers are built to provide optimum comfort. This is great if you’re looking to make lawn mowing a relaxing activity or have a large stretch of land. Things like cup holders, seat adjustability, and mobility all add to the comfort. At the same time, check for user-friendliness to make the process smoother.
Things like transmission play a huge role in this. There are three kinds of transmission- manual, automatic, and hydrostatic. These help you determine the amount of effort you need to control, turn, or direct your lawnmower. Other than this, factors such as assembly, height, safety, etc., also play a role in determining comfort and user-friendliness.
In the end, the price is what matters. Some individuals prefer economical lawn mowers that get the job done. Others know that they will spend a lot of time on the mower and hence wish to spend more on additional features and premium experiences. Your budget, along with your primary need, ultimately determines the kind that is the best riding lawn mower for hills and you.
The Best Riding Lawn Mower For Hills in 2021: Our Choices
In this section of the guide, we have combined some of the best riding lawn mowers for hills in 2020. These mowers, each have one specialty that stands out more than the others. We have chosen only the top tiers, and there is something for everyone, regardless of its budget-friendly or a comfortable experience you are looking for.
Our Top Recommendation: Husqvarna YTH18542
The Husqvarna YTH18542 is often considered as the best overall choice when it comes to lawnmowers. This is because it has all the features you would look for when choosing the best riding lawn mower for hills. With a modern and spacious look, powerful engine, and advanced technology, the Husqvarna YTH18542 excels at giving its users the most enjoyable experience.
- Cutting Deck: 42 Inch
- Engine: 18.5 HP
- Ergonomic Design
- Feuling Capacity: 2.5 Gallons
- Accessible: The Husqvarna YTH18542 is extremely accessible and spacious for individuals of all shapes and sizes. It is built keeping comfort in mind with an adjustable sliding seat, easy to use controls, and an ergonomic design.
- Power and Efficiency: One of the key features of Husqvarna YTH18542 is the fact that it is incredibly powerful. The lawnmower can cut the time of mowing to half with its incredibly strong and advanced engine and can easily manage rough, hilly terrain. It has a pedal-operated, hydrostatic drive that allows easy controlling and movement of the otherwise large mower.
- Premium Cut: The Husqvarna YTH18542 has air induction technology that allows a finer cut and anti-scalp wheels that ensure that the grass is not damaged due to the mower. If you want your yard to look pristine, look no further than the Husqvarna YTH18542.
- Maintenance Free: The Husqvarna YTH18542 has no maintenance scares and easy to access and assemble. There is no need to have routine maintenance checks or worry about replacement for an extremely long time and even with extensive use.
The Pocket-Friendly Choice: Troy-Bilt 382cc 30-Inch
The Troy-Bilt 382cc 30-Inch is a compact, easy to use the lawnmower. It is often called the best riding lawn mower for hills if your yard is small. The entire system is built in a way to provide residential comfort and ease of use. The lawnmower is also considered as the most budget-friendly option for individuals who do not wish to spend much but still want a great product.
- Cutting Deck: 30 Inches
- Engine Capacity: 382cc
- Compact Design
- 18-inch turn radius
- Compact: The Troy-Bilt 382cc 30-Inch is a compact purchase. It is easy to assemble and takes up little space in storage. This makes it perfect for individuals with a smaller yard in residential areas. The mower can also fit through narrow spaces with ease due to its small build.
- Comfortable: While the Troy-Bilt 382cc 30-Inch is compact, it does not compromise on comfort. With an adjustable seat and five cutting height adjustments, the mower is ready to give you a personalized experience. The addition of a soft padded steering wheel can allow you to sit on the mower for hours with easy maneuvering.
- Economical: The best feature of the Troy-Bilt 382cc 30-Inch is the fact that it is extremely economical and suitable for those that don’t wish to splurge on a mower. It gives you a great number of features along with sharp, controlled turns and clean cuts. At the same time, you don’t have to worry about dipping into the bank for extra funds as well.
The Luxury Option: Husqvarna Z254
With a gigantic width of cut and excellent power, the Husqvarna Z254 is made for those looking for a serious investment. If you have a huge yard and are looking for only the premium quality, there is nothing better than a luxury mower from one of the best names in the industry. The Husqvarna Z254 can truly be considered the best riding lawn mower for hills, provided you are willing to invest in it.
- Cutting Deck: 54 Inch
- Engine: 26 HP
- Ergonomic Control Panel
- Zero-Turn transmission
- Power and Efficiency: The first and foremost noteworthy advantage of the Husqvarna Z254 is the fact that the engine was built for rugged terrain. The horsepower and the efficiency of the engine are beyond what you would expect from a lawnmower and is suitable for speedy and perfect mowing. If you are someone who has to maintain acres of yards, this lawnmower will not let you down. The premium quality air filtration and large cooling fan also add to its durability and speed.
- Transmission: The zero-turn transmission gives an edge to the Husqvarna Z254. This, along with an ergonomic control panel, means that you will have no problem maneuvering the mower.
- Premium Cut: With the cutting deck of 54 inches, this lawn mower can cover a large amount of space with just one fell swoop. The air is also drawn from the front and the bottom of the deck, giving a more premium quality cut. Furthermore, the fine cut and the speed allows your yard to be in a pristine condition at all times of the year.
Other Worthy Competitors
ARIENS 915223 IKON-X 52″ Zero Turn Mower
When it comes to choosing worth competitors to the lawnmowers mentioned above, the ARIENS 915223 IKON-X 52″ Zero Turn Mower makes the top of the list. The lawnmower has a great cutting capacity, which gives it incredible speed and is built like a giant. This means that you don’t even have to worry about replacement for a long time to come. It is also perfect for steep slopes due to its incredible features.
- Cutting Deck: 52 Inches
- Engine: 23 HP
- 4- point dual arm deck hanging system
- Padded control levers
- Durable: One of the first things you notice when you see the ARIENS 915223 IKON-X 52″ Zero Turn Mower is the fact that it is incredibly durable. The product comes with a 3-year warranty and is built to work with immense power. It has a 10-gauge tubular steel frame that gives it the strength to deal with even the most irregular patches of land.
- Speed: While the ARIENS 915223 IKON-X 52″ Zero Turn Mower might be built to last, it doesn’t compromise on speed. The mower’s 52-inch cutting deck improves its efficiency and time and makes it a perfect match for large lands and steep slopes.
- Comfort: Comfort is guaranteed with the ARIENS 915223 IKON-X 52″ Zero Turn Mower. The lawnmower has padded control levers and comfortable seats. This lets you ride in peace for long periods and across hilly terrain.
The Craftsman R105 is another lawnmower worth mentioning in the list of best riding lawn mower for hills. The small mower packs a lot of power and is suitable for large tufts of land as well as small compact spaces. The cutting deck and engine power are sizable and make the Craftsman R105 a sensible choice.
- Cutting Deck: 30 Inch
- Engine Capacity: 382 cc
- Ergonomic Design
- Deck Wash
- Compact Design: The Craftsman R105 might be good for large lands, but it suits the small-sized lawns. Its sleek and compact design focuses on taking as little space. The entire mower weighs about 343lbs and has a width of 64 inches. However, this doesn’t mean it compromises on the width of cut, which is 30 inches of clean and sharp grass cuts.
- Versatile: This lawnmower makes the list largely because of its versatility. Its small size does not compromise on the features, and the Craftsman R105, therefore, has a powerful engine. Furthermore, it has 6-speed options that make it easy to adjust to your yard and preference.
- Durability: The Craftsman R105 is a worthy competitor and has incredible durability as opposed to many lawnmowers in the same category. It has an easy washout port and a 2-year warranty. This can let you rest easy and not worry much about maintenance or replacement.
Additional Riding Mower Resources
Looking for some additional resources for some of your more common mower-related questions? In the articles below, we strive to answer these questions before they become a problem.
- How to Start A Riding Lawn Mower: A Quick Guide
- How To Change Blades On Riding Mower Without Removing Deck
- Learning How to Clean A Carburetor on a Riding Lawn Mower
- How Much Does a Riding Lawn Mower Weigh?
- Learning How To Change Oil In Riding Lawn Mower
Our Final Thoughts
In the year 2020, there is something for everyone when it comes to the best riding lawn mower for hills. Whether you want a budget solution, a premium product, or something that will solve your problem with no hassle, there is no need to worry.
While we recommend the Husqvarna YTH18542 as the winner of the lot, all of these mowers are prime products that you’d be lucky to own. Just follow this guide, and you can decide for yourself.